We run Minecraft Version 1.12.2
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Ideas

Shop Ideas

Hello fellow Addicts,
    As you may be aware, our shop plugin is getting old. I think at this point alien has patched it and massaged it to make it work, but we are not able to add the new blocks.
    Chatting with Jexter ingame today about changing the shop and wanted to throw the question out to the community.

What should we replace /shop with?

Personally, I like the idea of player run shops, with a limited /shop option.
    Ideally for this to work we would have a plugin to allow people to sell even when they are not ingame, like a chest shop of some kind.
    Playing music makes me happy!
    Vote for Minecraft Addicts!!http://www.minecraftaddicts.com/showthread.php/8945

Jexter's Avatar Minecraft Addicts Operator

Continuing a few points mk and I discussed, a more player-based shop approach would certainly add some interesting versatility to our economy. It does make sense to continue offering some of the most basic blocks like cobblestone, dirt, sand etc, for the sake of those of us who mine regularly. But it'd add more variety when players dictate prices, as everything would then be based off supply and demand. What may be worth garbage one day could be the jackpot the next, depending on what's available. If there is such an option to keep a small command shop for basic blocks, I think it's best if they are sell low, buy high. That way this is more or less a secondary option, not the ideal place for a great price. The better incentive would be to purchase or sell to players for better pricing.

A more player-driven economy could be accomplished in many ways, and chest shops are a good option (I've used these on other servers before and they made for a far more interesting economy). Or, simply selling and buying your wares through chat and / or forums is another good option. Many servers that utilize a player-run economy incorporate a marketplace forum and it's a great way to do shopping or get your name out there as a seller.

The only problem I see with a player-driven economy is that it's very easy to corner the market. If there's only a handful of people on and you need a certain item for use in your build or what have you, a player that has it can demand any price (s)he wants. If you don't want to pay that price then you have to halt your progress until someone else comes on that has it, and that might be awhile. I have always had a special place in my heart for /shop. I think that checks and balances would need to be put into place (which I don't know the feasibility of anyways), because a totally free market economy is great in its own ways but the potential for abuse is high. It's driven by capitalism, after all.

I see your point weasel. That will always be a possibility in any player economy (personally, I love the capitalistic approach - the harder you work, the more it pays off!). I suppose the reason why I personally like more player driven is that I've seen it work well on other servers, and suddenly makes me realize how dull our market is here on MCA. There could always be certain checks and balances put into play, such as the possibility of having the majority of items still available in a command shop. I've seen one such server that had nearly all items available via a command shop, but all prices were sell low and buy high. This was a driving factor of the economy because if you wanted the best prices, you shopped and sold to players. This was also a protective boundary in preventing certain prices getting too out of hand.

The main reason I've always disliked a command-only server shop is that it makes the game too simplistic for me. Some players like them because it provides easy access to certain items. But in my opinion, if people want easy access, they should just build in Creative.

dph already controls the market doe

Quote Originally Posted by WubblesBubbles_ View Post
    Lolz

dph's Avatar Minecraft Addicts Operator

Quote Originally Posted by WubblesBubbles_ View Post
    When I started reading this thread I thought that might come up. To be totally honest my opinion would be to try to get some sort of chest plugin if possible and let players make shops. And although if someone corners the market it would be hard to get around I would think it would increase competition and make the prices competative. I for one if it did happen would keep the prices fair for what the market looks like. Although prices would go up for example if there was a sudden great demand for iron but still it wouldn't be a great increase. However as jexter said it would be beneficial to have a shop that sells high and buys low to put a cap on the prices of things.

It is interesting to me to see how the prices change and how you have to modify what you buy and sell at from day to day with the staples remaining constant.

Also then with regards to what players currently have I wouldn't want to devalue what players have in the initial change if/when it happens. So the prices of items if a /shop still exists will need to be thought about quite hard to make it fair for all new and old.
    I run a shop. Buy stuff!

Vote! You know you want to: http://www.minecraftaddicts.com/show...craft-Addicts!

Chest shops not only have the benefit of creating more player investment into the server economy, but another added element is that they don't require players to be online to sell their goods either. So there shouldn't be concern about relying on certain people to be online to acquire goods. There's always the chance that the rare, specific item someone is looking for isn't available from any player, but this can be a good thing. It creates great demand for said item and people will pay good money to have it. This is currently the case for certain items we don't have available in our shop, such as enchantments, beacons or god weapons, tools etc. The driving factor for the top dollar value of these items is that they are not easily accessible or available.

Another thing to consider is that with our current shop plug aging and the difficulty of finding one that precisely mirrors, or similarly functions to it, that we don't necessarily have to have a command-based shop to keep the economy balanced. A few servers I've visited accomplish price balancing using chest shops only. These servers will use a master market at their spawn area or marketplace to sell items via a large chest shop (and usually with very high prices). I believe they also stay permanently stocked through some kind of plug. This master server shop was not used often by players, but it served two purposes. It was a fallback option for anyone desperate for a particular item(s), and it was a way for the server staff to maintain proper price balancing.

I wouldn't see any reason for many of our current shop prices to need huge changes. Sell could go lower, buy could go higher, but when you meet in the middle it averages out to similar pricing. We wouldn't want our caps suddenly getting devalued or over-inflated due to a crazy drastic price overhaul.

Another thought is that with a buy high server shop / market, the value of any server currency will increase with time. With our current shop format where sell and buy prices are in relatively close proximity, its favored as the go-to source for items rather than as a last resort option. When a server shop is the more widely-used option for resources, larger amounts of currency tend to get injected into the economy. Sell prices are attractive enough where players will frequently sell to the shop, and receive money from the server rather than the player. Obviously caps will also leave the economy whenever a player purchases from server shop, but in my own experience the shop tends to get used far more for selling than buying. Over time this inflates the currency. The more widespread and common caps are, the less value it holds. If shop sell prices are low, there is more motive to get a better price from players and keep caps within the player market. When shop buy prices are high, players will favor seeking a more competitive price from another player, which also keeps the caps within the player market. The idea is to keep the available caps in the market constantly circulating within the server economy. Caps will continue to get irregularly injected into the economy through rewards such as contest winnings etc., but this is sometimes necessary. Caps can leave the economy when wealthier players go inactive.

Cpt.Carnage's Avatar Diamond Axer

Old timer chiming in, the only time I usually use the shop is when I'm mid build and don't feel like going out mining for lapis/redstone and other annoying block types. I want the block that moment, not after a trip to the 'market' which is essentially the same thing as going mining.

I'd prefer if we'd stick to a command based shop if at all possible for the sake of convenience especially in build and historic where your physical interactions with other players are limited.
    Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.

cooliojulio's Avatar Golden Hatchet
    Faction Tag
    [TYP]

Just a thought, we could up the prices just a little for the rarer blocks or blocks in current high demand, and then add a chest system under that so players can make money off of that as well.
    I'm arew a geek
    https://imgur.com/gGKT1h5
    https://imgur.com/uCik7rU
    Pictures courtesy of iwuvu77
    Remember to /vote!