Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JEX

Jex how do I become a Georgia fan?
    Whatever dere

Jexter's Avatar Minecraft Addicts Operator

Quote Originally Posted by spongepunk View Post
    Jex how do I become a Georgia fan?
    Lol

Was texting a buddy who was at Neyland last night, I told him he was probably feeling as bad as I did after Auburn won that "miracle on the plains" game two years ago against Georgia. Real heart-breaker, I feel pretty bad for UT fans right now. Huge blown lead. What surprised me too was that the Tennessee defense played well, but it was actually the offense that sputtered mightily in the second half.

If it makes you feel any better, many people still believe Tennessee is a year away (I think you yourself mentioned that before). If they keep bringing in top 5 recruiting classes, something's gotta give eventually! Another part of me believes that Butch Jones may just be an elite recruiter, but I thought Tennessee just got completely out-coached in that Oklahoma game. But then again there are times I can make the same argument for Mark Richt.

The good news is that you have 0 conference losses - the East war hasn't really started yet. Georgia is looking far more one-dimensional than last year, and even Vanderbilt-who does have a legit defense, I'll admit-had great success against us loading the box. Greyson Lambert has not impressed me at all and he didn't even have a pass completion until the second half (starting 0-7 on passing will not get it done against good SEC teams). Our defensive front had a hay-day, this is one area I'm really liking on our team. One of our best edge rushers (Lorenzo Carter) was ejected in the 1st quarter for a laughable targeting call, and the defensive front still owned the game. 3 sacks and I think Jordan Jenkins alone had 2 of them with 5.5 tackles for loss. But our secondary, like Tennessee, has weaknesses. Jeremy Pruitt's philosophy of a secondary is that they should make interceptions a priority, but that also often means giving up a lot of passing yards in the process. We did get 3 interceptions against a very mediocre quarterback, but ended up giving 300-ish yards in passing. All this to say that both UT and Georgia have clear weaknesses and that really gives a wide-open outcome to the East race. One thing Saturday did prove is that Missouri and Florida don't look impressive at all, and they are the other teams thought to challenge for the division.

Also, just about everyone (including myself) was wrong about Auburn. Not sure what has got in to Jeremy Johnson but he does not look like an elite QB at all. Auburn may be headed for a 4-5 loss season at this rate. If they are struggling this badly against Louisville and Jacksonville State, imagine what the SEC gauntlet will be like for them. One pick I'm liking more and more is Ole Miss, who has looked like the most dominant team so far... but I'm not getting ahead of myself there, as they have been playing relatively inferior opposition. We'll see how their first few SEC games go.

After last year's Florida game and this past game, I'm starting to think Butch is only good at recruiting. Conservative play calling, not going for it on the 1/2 yard line when you have a 240 lb beast of a RB. Even if he wasn't calling the plays, Debord's offense looked really similar to Bajakian's...so good hire there, UT. Even if it's the OC's fault, Butch did nothing to make adjustments during the 3rd quarter, and that ended up screwing us. Oh, and our defense couldn't tackle Mayfield for whatever reason... I assume they were gassed with so many 3 and outs from the offense. I'd like to think we're a year off, but after that, I have little to no faith in this team. Great offense and bad defense vs BGSU. Vice versa for OU. The best word I can think of to describe this team is bipolar. Good enough offense the first half, second half...well you know. Our punter, Todd Kelly Jr. (2 INT's yesterday), Jalen Reeves Maybin (I believe he had upwards of 15 tackles and a sack), Hurd, and Kamara appear to be our only consistent players. Better than nothing I guess.

But it was fun seeing Auburn almost pull an '07 Michigan. Johnson is turrible and I got many laughs out of that game.

I'm not buying into Ole Miss yet, though next week's game against Bama will be interesting.
    Whatever dere

Well Butch is an exceptional recruiter. But he does still need to prove himself on the big stage. He does have that signature victory against then-#6 South Carolina a season or two ago but that's about all I can remember. But he does need to decide what type of coach he wants to be... conservative can often work depending on the type of offense in particular that you run. Mark Richt often gets accused of the same thing (and he's as conservative a coach as they come), but it often works well for him because he runs the pro-style offense. Tennessee is more of that spread / read option offense so perhaps that philosophy doesn't work as well for them. The 1/2 yard line decision against Oklahoma was very puzzling at best. Even Richt would have gone for that with his 5'10", 220 pound bowling ball... so why UT wouldn't do it with a monster like Hurd is odd. To me that just shows an extreme lack of confidence in the offensive line, which may not be entirely unfounded.

Reeves Maybin, Barnett and Kelly Jr are beasts. I'd take them on my team any day. Btw is it weird to have a former Alabama running back playing back-up to Hurd?

Yeah, I was pulling for Jacksonville State in that Auburn game... which is odd, I usually go for the SEC teams but something about an underdog FCS foe beating a top-10 FBS school is very satisfying. I guess UTC is pretty decent then because they barely lost to Jack State the previous week! I think the year Appalachian State knocked off Michigan was the same year App State went on to win one of their many FCS championships. FCS schools better watch out for Jacksonville State this year.

Ole Miss is life.
    Whatever dere

Quote Originally Posted by spongepunk View Post
    Ole Miss is life.
    Now you know Ole Miss is the real deal! Impressive win over Alabama. And it wasn't even as close as the final score indicated.

LSU looked good in their win as well (Fournette had a Herschel Walker-liked performance) but then again, they were playing Auburn. I'm not sure if LSU will be serious contenders yet as they are probably the most one-dimensional team in the SEC, so we'll see how they do against a legit defense.

Seems as though USC was once against a product of media bandwagoners, although I can't say I'm surprised they lost to a mediocre team either. Consistently great recruiting classes but never meeting expectations on the field. I'll have to admit that one of the biggest surprises of week 3 was Notre Dame topping Georgia Tech. I thought Georgia Tech had a poorer defense than their first 2 opponents indicated, but it certainly was exposed for what it really is against ND. Even more surprising is that Notre Dame probably has more major injuries on the roster than any other FBS school right now. So good win for them. Over all though, the ACC has not looked good so far. Neither Clemson or Florida State looked impressive in their wins.

As much as I dislike the consistency of Greyson Lambert, how about him knocking off Tee Martin's old NCAA record for completion percentage? I couldn't believe he finished 24/25. Georgia looked scary against South Carolina but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet... because I know SC has had a down defense lately. But I was very happy with how the dawgs played. I am hoping they are getting it together just in time for Alabama coming to Athens in week 5... we'll see. Somebody needs to hang another loss on Saban this year.

Jex, we have Dooley Jr. Butchy can't finish games and is so damn conservative. I don't care anymore, I want him and his staff gone. Jancek was decent until that 4TH AND 15 63 YARD TD PASS. I feel really sorry for Medley though, the poor guy will probably get so much crap from his peers for a situation the coaches put him in.

What happened to LSU today vs Syracuse? I didn't get to watch it but they only won by 10.

Notre Dame is better than I expected and GT has really fallen off.

Anyway, tomato face needs to get canned. Good job on firing Fulmer, Hamilton, you useless sack of garbage.
    Whatever dere

Tennessee literally lost that game by a couple of inches. I really thought that field goal was going in at the end as time expired. Wow.

But I will say that was the biggest, most entertaining circus of a game I've watched all year. Just really sucks that Tennessee came up on the losing end again. I feel bad for their fans, I think they are cursed by Florida. Think they've beaten you 11 years in a row now?

And yeah, that game's outcome was not Medley's fault. I thought the coaching and clock management particularly in the 4th quarter was poor on Tennessee's part.

One think I always remind my fellow Georgia fans who want Mark Richt fired every time he loses one or two games each year... is look at what happened to Tennessee once they let Fulmer go. Tennessee has never been the same since that poor decision and have spent the last decade trying to become the same competitive team each year that Fulmer had them playing as. Not saying Butch is a bad coach just yet, he might turn things around eventually. But I will say right now I find him to be a better recruiter than an on-the-field coach in big games.

LSU didn't look bad today, but bear in mind Syracuse does have a pretty good defense. Fournette has been so effective that LSU stubbornly refuses to try to put up much of a passing game, and that may hurt them in SEC play eventually. Running the ball like LSU does burns the game clock faster, thus resulting in overall less points in a game. Fournette still looked like the best player in football today and is definitely the Heisman favorite.

Maybe neither Notre Dame or Georgia Tech is particularly good. Notre Dame did almost (and should have) lost to Virginia, who is not good at all. Still a difficult team to read this early in the season.

But hey, the East is still wide open. You have one SEC loss now, but Georgia still has to play Alabama and we are also prone to dropping a game or two every year against teams we're supposed to beat. Even if we beat Alabama next week, Tennessee and Florida are still two teams that give us fits every season. Never know what can happen!

I have no hope. Today killed any and all hope I had for this season
    Whatever dere

Sooooo...

Dormady should get a shot, imo. Dobbs was bad against a bad Arkansas secondary. And do we have a random freshman kicker or something? Because they can't be worse than Medley. This team is just plain bad. The hype train has derailed and it's heading for the freaking Grand Canyon, Jex.

Before the season:

Now:

Swiggity swooty, Richt is comin' for that orange booty.
    Whatever dere