We run Minecraft Version 1.12.2
    edgeofblade's Avatar Golden Hatchet

Ramifications of Server-2-Server portals

I was wondering about some unintended consequences and advantages of server-to-server portals eventually being implemented.

The main sticking point of using a portal rather than just typing in a new server is that the inventory is planned to be carried over.

We could be connected with a server who freely gives away resources or a server that maliciously wants to leech resources from us. Will there need to be a mod that establishes an exchange ratio with foreign servers? A customs service?

Of course, laws will have to be enforced in the server, but mods seem to do that just fine.

And, it probably goes without saying... the relationship with such servers should be tightly maintained, perhaps to the point that several servers rally under a single flag, with a capitol server where the country is governed, and borders are tightly controlled.

The opportunity for "international" politics and drama is just staggering... same way the opportunity for emergent game play in all aspects of Minecraft has always been boundless.

MrJangles's Avatar Minecraft Addicts Operator
    Blog Entries

Interesting, I'm just reading about this now.

I'm scared.

edgeofblade's Avatar Golden Hatchet

Main thing is, I think the server admins would have to agree to link the server. If not, you can always restrict building with the portal materials unless you get a formal request from a like-minded, ethical server admin. It's a special relationship that would have to be maintained. And as such, there is a good chance it won't be used.

MrJangles's Avatar Minecraft Addicts Operator
    Blog Entries

lol.

Ya, good point. There has to be some control.

Cpt.Carnage's Avatar Diamond Axer

Control would be ideal, we don't want people nicking our stuff or for that matter going through the server wreaking havoc.